SURPRISE! I am going on a round-the-world trip with my boyfriend Steve.
Although I came up with this idea months and months ago, I couldn’t actually publish anything about our (potential) Round-The-World travels until we had made the necessary arrangements to tell our families, give notice to our workplaces, and deal with other obligations and loose ends (like finding the right caretaker for my dog Teddy Bear when we travel).
Everything I said in my first Travel Diary blog post — Why I Started a Travel Blog — is still true. But now you know the bigger picture, and the context surrounding the development of Modern Mix Travel. In fact, in anticipation of our RTW trip, it was one of the main reasons I built this new global travel website.
No vacation, while working full-time, has been long enough for me. There’s always more to see, more to do, and more to explore. Our plan is to travel for roughly nine months. Vancouver will be back right here waiting for us upon our return.
Regarding the timing of this trip: why travel now? I realized it’s now or never. I’m 30 years old, and if my boyfriend and I want to start a family in the next five years (hopefully less), this is the only time we can take months off with no major obligations. We either travel the world now, or travel when we are empty nesters at 50. And by then, who knows where we will be in terms of health, financial stability, and other life-obligations that may come our way.
Needless to say, managing the launch and development of this blog, and writing and publishing posts has been a little bit tricky. In full disclosure, I’ve been pre-writing some posts, then publishing them when the timing is right, in an order that makes sense. In the development of this blog, I have also written about some of my previous travels, and back-dated them to be around the time of the trip.
As a rough itinerary: our first destination will be Central America and Northern South America: to Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Colombia for approximately 5 weeks. Then we will fly the cheapest flight into Europe (looks like it will be from Bogota, Colombia to Lisbon, Portugal) and spend the next few months in Europe, making our way East (Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Czech Republic) where the cost of living is cheaper. From Europe onwards, Nepal is first on our list, as well as visiting family in Malaysia and filling in the gaps of SE Asian destinations we have not yet been to (Laos? Bhutan? Philippines?). If all goes well, we should be in New Zealand, in time for the start of their summer, and then home after that.
To our families, we’ve been calling this our “World Tour” and the name has stuck. Our current anticipated departure date is: February 1, 2018. We have not yet booked our flights.
EDIT with most commonly asked questions:
- Who is taking care of Teddy Bear? Steve’s parents have generously offered to be the main caretakers for Teddy Bear, and two of my other friends have offered to be back-up caretakers.
- What will you do with your apartments? Rent them out.
- Are you taking a leave from work? I’m not, I plan to find a new full-time marketing position upon our return…unless the travel blog takes off!
- What about your blog Modern Mix Vancouver? Will be putting it on ‘hold’ in 2018 to focus on the travel blog. There will be a small pop-up on the homepage with a link to the travel blog.
- Are you carrying a backpack? Yep, more versatile and adventurous than a suitcase.
- Will your friends and families miss you? Sure, but it’d be quite easy to arrange for a meet up during our travels.