Hi everyone! I’ve been nominated to answer a series of blogging-related questions and to share some facts about me and my travel blog Modern Mix Travel.
The Liebster Award is an award nomination that is given to bloggers by bloggers. It’s a way to show recognition for one another and to build more of a sense of community by helping expand our reach. It’s also a great way to connect with other like-minded bloggers, and be offered a structured way to share about our experiences.
Thank you to Brit from The Happiness Agreement for nominating me to answer these 11 questions, and share these 11 random facts about me, on behalf of Modern Mix Travel.
When did you start your blogging journey?
I started blogging really early on, in 2008, with my Vancouver lifestyle blog Modern Mix Vancouver.
How did you land on the focus and purpose of your blog?
Over the years, as writing about travel and sharing my global experiences became more and more important to me, I wanted to branch off with a stand-alone site dedicated to travel. Late last year (in 2017), I have finally completed my long awaited project – Modern Mix Travel. Although I’ve been writing posts about my travels for years, it’s been a long-awaited personal objective to finally start Modern Mix Travel – a blog dedicated to my global experiences!
With that, came hand-in-hand with my boyfriend and I leaving our day jobs and beginning a round-the-world trip for 9 months.
Where do you go to write?
I can write anywhere I have wifi and my laptop — this includes hostels, guesthouses, cafes, and airports! I often take notes on my iPhone, then email them to myself to put into a blog post later. Currently, I’m sitting on a couch in Salento, Colombia, in the common area of our guesthouse.
What practices do you put in place to prevent burnout and maintain wellness?
Newness inspires me, which is why I find travel blogging so much fun. We are constantly seeing, trying, and doing new things, which gives me the motivation and inspiration to write more and share my experiences. In our 6 weeks of travel so far, the longest time we’ve spent in one city is 8 days in Medellin, Colombia. That means we are constantly seeing new things, doing the ‘best of’ each city or country we are in, and constantly being inspired by newness.
What is a happy memory you will never forget?
The moment our Round the World trip became a reality. Also, spending a week in Leon, Nicaragua, learning Spanish and staying in a homestay, while enjoying a slower pace of travel.
What’s one piece of advice would you give to your 12-year-old self?
There is no expectation to be good at or play sports, watch scary movies, and go on dizzy-spinning amusement park rides when you are older. Don’t feel bad about avoiding them if you don’t like them.
Where would you recommend traveling to, and why?
Before we began our Round the World travels, I made a list of must-visit travel destinations in 2018, which included Nicaragua (check!), Colombia (check!), Morocco, Nepal and New Zealand. However, as I began travelling and talking to other travellers, I think some of the new hot destinations are Guatemala (darn, missed this) and Sri Lanka (still a possibility!)
The best book you’ve read lately, and why?
Lonely Planet. I even started buying digital copies of their book because it’s so, so, so, handy to have a single guidebook that gives you an introduction to every region and destination in a country. I love referencing Lonely Planet as an overview for my travels, but then using blogs to supplement my research in specific destinations or experiences.
What’s next on the bucket list?
I would love to visit Morocco — I think that’ll become a reality in Spring 2018.
Who is a motivational person (celebrity or non-) to you, and why?
There are many people who inspire me, but the most recent example that comes to mind is my friend Alice Ko who owns her own digital agency, Pivot Six. She is a digital nomad, spending months at a time living in and working from Medellin.
Through our conversations, I realized I don’t necessarily want to be a “digital nomad” and live months away from home at a time, but I would like to see if I could narrow down my skills and services and explore the possibility of doing something on my own, which may then give me the flexibility to travel more frequently than 15 vacation days a year.
Thanks to her, I also figured out a couple of things I’d like to start thinking more about — like networking more or meeting others in a similar industry as me and begin building a pool or resources, support, partners and contacts. (Which is why being nominated for the Liebster Award — which encourages the building relationships in the blogging community — came at such good timing!).
What’s your next big goal for your blog?
I really want to figure out how I can continue to incorporate travel and entreprenurship into my life, even when our Round-the-World trip ends and we are back home in Vancouver, BC.
Here are 11 random facts about me:
- I’ve been featured on television two times — both times were to talk about my experience with Canadian subscription boxes.
- Growing up, I had relatives all around the world, including New Zealand, London, and Singapore. When my mom and I travelled on vacation, we often made stops to see our relatives abroad.
- When I was a B.Com student at the University of British Columbia, I did a school exchange and lived for four months in Vienna, Austria. That was the highlight of my four years in post-secondary.
- I’ve travelled to 39 countries — Colombia is #39, Peru will be #40, Portugal will be #41
- I don’t eat fish. “No como pescado” is a phrase I made sure to perfect before beginning our travels through Latin America. (No, not an allergy, just a taste preference.).
- One of my all-time favourite tours was through the incredible salt flats of Bolivia.
- My boyfriend Steve (aka. travel partner) and I have been together for 7.5 years, and friends for over 10!
- I (we) have a Pomeranian rescue dog named Teddy Bear who I miss very, very much! He is currently on his own vacation and staying with Steve’s parents.
- I’m not really a cat person. We stayed at an Airbnb-style guesthouse, where the owner had two cats, and, amusing as they were, I found them too unpredictable. They would just jump up onto our beds, or run outside when we opened the door, with no respect for boundaries or personal space.
- I’m not vegetarian, but I do love plant-based dishes. My favourite (vegetarian) cookbook is: The Forest Feast, which has beautifully illustrated yet simple to make vegetarian recipes.
- I only purchased my first DSLR camera six months ago — almost all my photos prior to that (and still now) are taken with a iPhone.
My nominees for The Liebster Award:
- Kama @ Ethigal – a Canadian lifestyle blog focused on social good. We ‘met’ online when I first won one of her IG giveaways.
- Cam @ Cam Lee Yoga – a Vancouver-based lifestyle and yoga blogger, who I finally met in person on a ziplining trip last year. She is super fit (as most yogi’s are), and always posts gorgeous yet peaceful photos of herself on Instagram!
- Ellie @ The Gingerwanderlust – travel blogger sharing her best travel tips in photos and blog posts from around the world.
- Jenni @ Jennifer Davies – a digital nomad based out of Toronto who has a big passion for rock climbing.
- Tiffany @ My Dirt – a lifestyle blogger dishing her dirt on recipes, travel, and life.
- Joelle @ Riding Around the Globe – travel blogger, riding is her last name — not a reference to bikes!
- Kiara @ Wandering Wombmates – a lifestyle blog about twin sisters who live thousands of miles apart and share their adventures both at home and abroad.
Questions for My Fellow Bloggers:
- When and why did you start your blogging journey?
- How did you decide on the name of your blog?
- How do you focus on getting traffic to your blog?
- If not blogging, what’s your full time job?
- Best experience or most memorable experience you’ve had as a blogger?
- Favourite part about blogging? Least favourite part about blogging?
- What’s something you wish you knew before you began blogging?
- Best lesson you’ve learned as a blogger?
- Favourite inspirational quote?
- What’s something on your bucket list?
- What your next big goal for your blog?